Monday, March 24, 2008

Ok, I'm Cheating


The truth is that the pics I am posting today were not taken in McKinney. Please don't turn me into the city daily photo blog police! If you do, I think they may take away my membership card or stop paying me to post or something.


These pics were taken last week on a trip we took to Nacogdoches, Texas. We were there just in time to enjoy the Azalea festival. These pics are mostly from the Ruby Mize Azalea Garden.

Nacogdoches prides itself on being the oldest city in Texas. This is actually true if you define "city" and "Texas" just right. It is certainly full of lots of interesting history. It was once part of the independent state of Fredonia, no really! David Bowie owned about 500,000 acres of woodlands in and around Nacogdoches. Stephen F. Austin, also came through here on his way from his home in Little Rock to the settlement he started. That settlement is now known as Austin, Texas, the state capitol.

Stephen F. Austin State University, home of the fighting (or chopping?) Lumberjacks is in Nacogdoches. The picture above is what art students do with the tuition money their parents are spending. My 15 year old daughter informed me that those were vodka bottles. Right after that we had a fairly extensive discussion on just how she came to possess that bit of knowledge.

This is also on the SFASU campus, just next to the football stadium. Seems to be a very nice and relaxing environment for instensive study. But, my guess is that this might be where they prepare the raw material for the bottle tree.


So, I hope you enjoy this non-Mckinney interlude. If you are ever in east Texas and wondering what the heck to do with yourself, visit Nacogdoches!





8 comments:

Jim March 24, 2008 at 7:18 PM  

The azaleas look nice.

Southern Heart March 24, 2008 at 8:39 PM  

Very, very pretty photos! You picked a wonderful time to visit there, didn't you? I hope that you had a great trip.

Ok, so why am I not getting paid for posting my Memphis photos? ;-)

Kim March 24, 2008 at 9:11 PM  

Don't worry...your secret is safe with me!!!
Great pictures of the colorful blooms. I just had to crack up when I saw the picture of the bottle tree. Before my son decided on going into the Navy this year, SFA was on his list of colleges to visit UNTIL a friend told me of the partying that goes on there! But, really...what college doesn't party!

Alex March 25, 2008 at 9:37 AM  

Beautiful pics !! I Like the sculpture with the blue bottles.

Thiên March 25, 2008 at 10:43 PM  

Nice shots! I love the flowers.

Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) March 26, 2008 at 7:33 AM  

Wonderful shots of the blooms... I am impressed. Colors and clarity are beautiful. Oh how I wish snow and cold was done here!

Barbara March 26, 2008 at 5:39 PM  

Wow - So many beautiful photos.

brian March 27, 2008 at 8:17 PM  

very nice photos... and i had no clue about the vodka bottle either, but it is creative...

About Me

My Photo
I am Mckinney Texas based photographer. I specialize in commercial, portrait, travel and landscape photography. While I strive to be technically excellent I think photography is all about making and saving memories. That is what I hope to do, preserve memories to enrich future generations. You can reach at dmstar99@gmail.com or friend me on Facebook. I would love to hear from you.

About This Blog

This blog is about pictures of Mckinney, Texas. Of course, that does not mean that you won't see pictures of other places once in a while. Mckinney, is one of the fastest growing communities in the United States. It also boasts the second largest historical district in Texas. So, while the community grows into the future it is also trying to stay connected to its roots.This creates and interesting and creative dynamic. I try to capture some of that dynamic in my pictures of Mckinney

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP